Rotary Yoneyama Scholarship for applicants residing abroad is for international students scheduled to enroll in a Japanese University or Graduate School. Applications are invited for Rotary Yoneyama Scholarships available for international students to undertake studies at Japanese university or graduate school in Japan. International applicant must have Japanese language proficiency. Applicants must be up to 39 years of age and have scholastic and health requirements. Scholarships will be awarded for a period of two years.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing undergraduate, master and PhD degree programs at Japanese University or Graduate School.
Scholarship Provider: Rotary Yoneyama Memorial Foundation
Scholarship can be taken at: Japan
Basic Eligibility Requirements: International students meeting all of the following requirements are eligible to apply for this scholarship. The program’s eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Citizenship & Place of Residence – Not be a citizen of Japan nor be residing in Japan.
- Permission for Pre-arrival Admission in Japanese University or Graduate School
Have either obtained or be in the process of applying for pre-arrival admission approval from the university or graduate school (under MEXT jurisdiction) to which you wish to enter as a degree student,and be scheduled for April 2016 or October (September) 2016 enrollment in one of the below-listed statuses.
If the applicants come to Japan to have the entrance examination (e.g., to take a written exam or interview), they must return to their residing country to apply for the scholarship.
- Scholastic and Health Requirements – Have an enthusiasm for study and clear-cut future goals, an
awareness of and respect for cultural differences, and ability to express oneself fluently and to communicate smoothly, and both the mental and physical health needed to sustain one’s life as an overseas
- Major Field of Study – All fields are eligible.
- Japanese Language Ability – As the page 6 shows, there are several conditions requiring Japanese
language ability depend on the area where applicants’ targeted the university / graduate school is located. In either case, after arriving Japan, scholars are expected to make an effort to communicate in Japanese so as to better create and strengthen friendship ties with Japanese people.
- Age – Up to age 39.
- Academic Degree
– Persons who already hold a bachelor’s degree are not eligible for an undergraduate scholarship.
– Persons who already hold a master’s degree are not eligible for a master’s scholarship.
– Persons who already hold a doctoral degree are not eligible for a doctoral scholarship.
- Dual Scholarships – Student who will hold a scholarship from another organization when this scholarship goes into effect are not eligible to receive this one.
- Past Yoneyama Scholars – Persons who have held a Yoneyama scholarship in the past are not eligible for this scholarship.
Scholarship for International Students: Yes, International students (Non Japanese) are eligible for these Rotary Yoneyama Scholarships.
Number of awards: About Fourteen Scholarships are awarded.
1) For April 2016 enrollment
– Undergraduates: Two years from April 2016 through March 2018
– Graduate students: Two years from April 2016 through March 2018
2) For October (September) 2016 enrollment
– Undergraduates: Two years from October (September) 2016 through September (August) 2018
– Graduate students: Two years from October (September) 2016 through September (August) 2018
For April enrollment: Scholarship payment begins in April 2016
For fall enrollment: Scholarship payment begins in October (or September) 2016
(1)Undergraduates 100,000 yen per month
(2)Master’s students 140,000 yen per month
(3)Doctoral students 140,000 yen per month
*Research students are not eligible.
Supplemental： Only for the first year of the scholarship, a supplemental of 400,000 yen is provided upon arrival in Japan.
Selection Criteria: Selections basically will be made by document review. The application documents with any defects, including your failure to file a document which should be attached to the application except for a letter of acceptance stated-above, will not be considered as the object of selection.
Notification: Notification of selection results is made by email in the beginning of February 2016.
How to Apply:
The application and documents should be prepared in PDF format. After filling out the form, please save the file with your own name and the documents name like as follows.(example: applicant’s name Margaret King)
(1) Application: the name of the file “Margaret King_1_application”
(2) The copy of the application for admission for the university/graduate school you are applying: the name of the file “Margaret King_2_entry”
(3) Research plan (prescribed form): the name of the file “Margaret King_3_plan”
(4) Composition (purpose for studying in Japan): the name of the file “Margaret King_4_composition”
(5) Letter of recommendation: the name of the file “Margaret King_5_recommendation”
(6) Copy of Letter of Acceptance: the name of the file “Margaret King_6_acceptance”
(7) Document certifying Japanese language proficiency: the name of the file “Margaret King_7_japanese”
NOTE: The Documents (5) and (6) can be sent to us directly from the university or schools you are applying by the deadline. Those who apply for Undergraduate don’t need to submit (3). Those who haven’t taken the Japanese Language Proficiency Test don’t need to submit (7).
Please email them as attached documents to the Foundation at the following address:
An applicant number will be provided to you by return email. Please use it if you submit additional documents or make inquiries.
Closing Date: Application must arrive by 16 October 2015 1:00P.M. Japan time for both April and October 2016 Enrollment. Application documents must arrive by the date.