The Government of Flanders is offering up to Master Mind Scholarships for international students. These scholarships are available for pursuing masters programme at selected Flemish institutions.nFor the academic year 2016-2017, it awards up to 45 scholarships to outstanding Master students from all countries.
The programme aims to promote the internationalization of the Flemish Higher Education, as stated in the Action Plan for Student Mobility, Brains on the Move (September 2013).
The Flemish Government is the executive branch of the Flemish Community and the Flemish Region of Belgium. It consists of a government cabinet, headed by the Minister-President and accountable to the Flemish Parliament, and the public administration (civil service) divided into 13 policy areas, each with an executive department and multiple agencies.
The eligible applicant must be registered as a full-time student at a higher education institution at the moment of application. Most institutions require proof of Dutch language proficiency for the programmes taught in Dutch and a preliminary language test for the programme taught in another language.
Students cannot apply directly. Applications need to be submitted by the Flemish Host Institution, in consultation with the Home Institution of the applicant.
Scholarship Provider: The Government of Flanders, Belgium
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing master degree programme at Flemish institutions. (KU Leuven / University of Leuven, University of Antwerp, Ghent University, Hasselt University, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, University colleges (Arts and Nautical Sciences), Antwerp Maritime Academy, Artesis Plantijn University College Antwerp, Erasmus University College Brussels, Karel de Grote University College, LUCA School of Arts and University College Ghent)
Scholarship can be taken at: Belgium
Scholarship for International Students: Yes, Students from all countries can apply for these scholarships.
Basic Eligibility Requirements:
- The applicant is registered as a full-time student at a higher education institution (hereafter ‘Home Institution’) at the moment of application, and applies to take up a Master degree programme at a higher education institution in Flanders (hereafter ‘Flemish Host Institution’).
- The applicant should have a high standard of academic performance and/or potential. He/she meets all academic entrance criteria, including relevant language requirements, for entering the Master programme in question offered by the Flemish Host Institution.
- The Home Institution of the applicant and the Flemish Host Institution have signed a cooperation agreement.
- Students from all countries can apply. The Home Institution is located outside of Flanders.
Number of award(s): 45
Duration of award(s): Unknown
Scholarship Cover: The incoming student is awarded a scholarship of maximum 7.500 Euro per academic year.
College Admission Requirement: Academic Bachelor Degrees give direct access to Master Programmes. Some Master Degrees will give access to advanced Master Programmes (at least another 60 ECTS credits), in some cases after a preliminary examination. The institution board will stipulate which Master Degrees give access to these specialised and advanced Master programmes. Professional Bachelor Degrees may give access to some Master Programmes after a bridging programme. The programme and study workload will be determined by the institution board, with due consideration for individual skills, working experience, qualifications and competences of the student after an evaluation interview.
Foreign higher education degrees give access to Master Programmes (including the advanced Master Programmes) if the higher education institution boards consider the foreign higher education degree equivalent to the Flemish higher education degree giving access to the programmes concerned.
English Language Requirement: In principal Dutch is the language of instruction. However, foreign language courses, courses with foreign guest speakers and teachers, internationally oriented courses, courses in the framework of international developing cooperation, courses in the framework of international exchange programmes and courses for groups of foreign students are taught in another language. Course material may be in any language. Most institutions require proof of Dutch language proficiency for the programmes taught in Dutch and a preliminary language test for the programmes taught in another language.
How to Apply: The application needs to be submitted online by the flemish host institution. Study in Flanders does not provide application forms. Student must contact the higher education institution of their choice directly. Addresses are available on the fact sheets of the study programmes and on the fact sheets of the higher education institutions.
Supporting Material: In addition to the application for the scholarship, the applicant must submit the following documents:
- Copy of passport
- Official transcript of records. If written in another language than Dutch, French or English, enclose a certified translation
- Official language test results
- Letter of motivation (from 1 to maximum 2 A4 pages)
- A letter of recommendation from 2 professors of their home institution
- A copy of acquired diploma(s). If written in another language than Dutch, French or English, enclose a certified translation
- Copy of cooperation agreement between flemish host and home institution
- These form should be renamed with the applicant’s last name and date of birth (surname_ddmmyy)
Closing Date: The application deadline is 31st March, 2016.